Sunday, October 26, 2008

Double Chocolate Truffle Mousse Pie


My husband is totally addicted to chocolate. When we first started dating I would make him dark chocolate truffles with dark chocolate, cream, and butter. He loved them and still does. Over the past two years, I have moved from being a lacto-ovo (milk and eggs) vegetarian to a vegan. For me this means that I no longer consume animal products (dairy and eggs too). He is a true omnivore and not entirely embracing of my apparently suspicious vegan ways. This made me determined to concoct a vegan recipe combining two of his favorite desert items: chocolate truffles and mousse. The object was to make it so delicious that he wouldn't be able to tell the difference until I told him. This recipe will also give your food processor a workout!

Raw Chocolate Crust
adapted from The Balanced Plate by Renee Loux pg. 356

For the crust I combined coconut oil, pecans, agave nectar, cocoa powder, and sea salt in a food processor and whizzed it until it was sticky and crumbly. I greased a springform pan with coconut oil and presses the crust into the pan and put it into the fridge to chill and firm.

Chocolate Truffle Layer
adapted from The Balanced Plate by Renee Loux pg. 356

For this layer I combined cashew butter, coconut butter, agave nectar, pure vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and sea salt and blitzed it in the food processor until creamy. I then spread this into the pre prepared crustand smoothed it with a spatula. I put it back in the fridge to keep chilling.

Chocolate Mousse Layer (my recipe)

1/2 c. coconut milk
2 c. dairy free chocolate chips (melt these in double boiler over low heat and cool)
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
12 oz. silken soft tofu (drained and patted dry)

Put all ingredients into the food processor and run till smooth and creamy. You could also add a tblsp of the liqueur of your choice. Spread on top of the truffle layer, smooth, and place in the fridge to chill for at leas 2 hrs. before serving. Unmold from the spring form pan.

The photograph above is the recipe above but with a vegan graham cracker crust but this crust is much better. Also, abovementioned husband is very happy with the pie and can't believe that it is vegan!

No comments: